Sunday, November 25, 2012

We're Growing!


The Adelaide Plains Chapter and Verse Writing Group is well under way now with two new members attending our most recent gathering.

We would like to welcome Marilyn Simpson and Kath Thornton, both very talented local writers who shared some of their work with the group.

One of our discussions this week was around different types of poetry including Sonnets, Villanelles and Ekphrastic poems.

The group will be undertaking an Ekphrastic challenge in the coming weeks which we will report on later.

 Our new members were keen to undertake this week’s challenge set by the group facilitator, Carolyn Cordon. This task is called ‘Digging in the Dictionary’. We were asked to randomly choose a word from the dictionary and write a poem about it, or to feature the word prominently in the poem. As I don’t have a dictionary and I couldn't find my thesaurus. I did the ‘Eenie, meenie, miney, mo’ on my bookshelf and landed on an old Jeffrey Archer short story collection. The random word I chose should make for a very interesting – and challenging poem.
We'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. I randomly chose the stupidest word imaginable, but a challenge is a challenge, so I have to go with the word chosen. Oh dear!
    Thanks Colleen for the lovely wrap up of our last meeting, and I say welcome to the two new members too. Great to have you with us.

    ReplyDelete

Have any thoughts on this? Leave a comment!